Summer lovin’ and we’re planning on having a blast. Our team is so excited for the Newsom Family Farms Peach & Wine Festival and thankful for the opportunity to be a part of it!
The dish we’re serving at the Festival Brunch on Sunday, July 31 is so good, the mere sight of it will make your taste buds tingle.
Wondering what it is? We bring you… the Peach French Toast Casserole. Our favorite part is the use of seasonal fruit which makes this dish even fresher!
Here’s how to make it at home:
Grab Your Ingredients
- 6 cups cubed brioche bread (or Texas toast, or other thick-sliced bread)
- 2 cups sliced peaches (fresh or frozen), peeled, sliced, and cut in half
- 2 cups milk (any kind)
- 1 cup half and half (or substitute with milk)**
- 4 eggs
- ¼ – ½ cup brown sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder for a stronger vanilla flavor and gorgeous vanilla bean specks)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Butter or oil for greasing the baking dish
Ready. Set. Bake!
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and make sure to butter/oil your baking dish (an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish will work for this).
- Step 2: Layer half of the bread cubes at the bottom of the baking dish (3 cups).
- Step 3: Scatter 1 cup or half of the sliced peaches over bread cubes.
- Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining bread cubes and sliced peaches.
- Step 5: Grab a large bowl and whisk together the milk (2 cups), half and half (1 cup), eggs (4 eggs), sugar (¼ – ½ cup), vanilla extract (1 teaspoon), cinnamon (2 teaspoons), nutmeg (½ teaspoon) and salt.
- Step 6: Pour egg/milk mixture over the bread cubes and peaches in the baking dish. Stir the mixture so the bread soaks up the liquid, but try not to break the bread.
- Step 7: Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown on top and set in the center, with no liquid remaining in the bottom of the dish. If the top of the bread is getting too brown but there is still liquid remaining, cover the baking pan with foil and continue baking.
- Step 8: Serve hot with maple syrup and toppings of your choice.
We always enjoy working with English Newsom Cellars! Take advantage of this two-day summer event filled with great wine and delicious food. We’ll see you there!
Recipe and photo source: Babaganosh.